2012 year in review & some resolutions
I love doing retrospectives like this – it’s a great way to reflect on the year & take stock in my life, etc. It really puts things in perspective.
Often I’ve thought that I had a horrid year, and then when I look at the meme I’m like “oh hey, my year was actually pretty awesome!”
That’s not to say there wasn’t drama – face it, living with a teen(s)… there’s gonna be drama!
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I’m sure I’ll forget a lot, but I traveled to several countries I’d never been to, published a sequel novel, moved to Washington, DC, won a Disney racing award (twice!), was a guest of honor at a convention, got my coast 2 coast Disney medal, dressed up in a Star Trek suit and pretended I was an away team at Disney World. Met the Speaker of the House (and went to his Christmas party). Flew business class internationally (that was AWESOME), visited the CONGO and watched a Lion hunt a Warthog! Saw Big Bad Voodoo Daddy & Don McLean in concert!
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I made 12 for 2012 & kept about 8 of them, so not too bad, eh? I’ve made 11 for 2013. Let’s see how it goes.
One of them involves publishing War of the Seasons: The Hunter on December 21, 2013…
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, two of my friends did, Rachel and Laura (Gunslingerpadme on LJ). Both of them were young and their deaths were quite sudden and unexpected. ☹
Rachel: post here
Laura: post here
5. What countries/states did you visit? (most of my travel, well, all but 1 trip, was work related somehow (ie, a book signing/convention/etc).
-North Carolina (multiple times), Florida, California (4 times!), Georgia, Tennessee (twice), Nevada, Utah, South Carolina
-Senegal, São Tome, Ghana, Gabon, Botswana, Afghanistan (twice), Bahrain, Dubai, Belgium, Ireland
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
War of the Seasons, book 3: The Hunter, published & on my bookshelf.
Oh, and a day off to curl up in bed with a book all day & just read.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
-DISNEY BUYS STARWARS! I mean, LFL… I suppose my mouse ears were prophetic…
-The world DIDN’T end on Dec 21st. (not that I thought it would)
-The presidential election
-SEEING DON MCLEAN IN CONCERT AND GETTING MY RECORD SIGNED!
MY MOM GOT MARRIED!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
OK, my biggest achievement… well, I suppose that depends.
Professionally? Being a bestseller in June. It was only for a day, but hey, I made it up to #3 on amazon & was only beat out by The Hunger Games/Catching Fire!
Personally? Getting a new Personal Record & running a 1:45:07 half-marathon (with a beard!). That was AWESOME!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being as good a wife/mother/friend as I ought to have been. That’s always something I can strive to improve myself on.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The odd cold and of course my knee injury. Oh, and I BURNED THE BOTTOM OF MY FEET AND COULDN’T WALK FOR LIKE A WEEK THIS SUMMER BECAUSE I’M AN IDIOT.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPad Mini, JARVIS! Oh goodness, how did I ever live without that thing?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Our Foreign Exchange Student – she has adapted well to living in a new country & being with our family. We adore her & are so glad she’s a part of our family.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The entire election was just frustrating – all the negative add campaigns. I’m so glad it’s over.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel, moving, kids.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
DRAGON*CON! AVENGERS! RUNNING! TRAVEL! FRIENDS! MOVING TO DC! THOR! DISNEY!
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
A tie between Gangham style & Call me maybe.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? the same
c) richer or poorer? Personally richer – I have a wonderful family, a great job, and the best friends! My life is truly rich.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing & reading.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sleeping. I know I’m supposed to sleep 8 hours a night, & I really don’t function well on less than that, so I do my best to get it, but a part of me always thinks “if I had an extra 8 hours a day, think of all the things I could get done…” Heh, if only…
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home, in PJs. IT WAS AWESOME.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
DOCTOR WHO!!! It’s a family affair.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. Hate is a very strong word/emotion. I’m glad I can honestly say I don’t hate anyone at all.
23. What was the best book you read?
Easy, the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. I WANT A DRAGON!
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hmmm, probably… PANDORA! No not the band, but the iphone/ipad app (I’ve had it on my phone for years, but really started using it this year). Through it I’ve discovered tons of great singers & bands… and I just love it!
25. What did you want and get?
My Macbook Air & iPad Mini (geez, consumerism much? I’m just trying to help the economy…)
26. What did you want and not get?
Nothing! Well, except for a day off to snuggle up with a book.
27. What was your favourite film of this year?
Easily, THE AVENGERS!
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 & was supposed to be on a plane out to my mother’s wedding, but the flight canceled, so I got to spend it at home relaxing with my family. We flew out the next day.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Flying, being back at the squadron. I miss flying. But I’ll be back there again soon enough.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I started a Fashion Blog! http://www.ailionora.com/tag/fashion/ You can see it here
I wore a lot of vintage, banana republic, anthropologie, and thrift store finds.
31. What kept you sane?
Writing & running, and my wonderful friends and family.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Haha, this never changes. Oh Paul McCartney, how I love you…
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
34. Who did you miss?
Will, Rachel, and Laura.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
No matter what you do some people just won’t like you. And that’s okay. Be true to yourself and do what you know is right.
Ok, 2013… BRING IT! 😀